This may be what all expected but that is not going to be the case this time as Argentina and Barcelona skipper Lionel Messi has said that he wants to continue and will not be hanging his boots after Argentina were knocked out of Copa America 2019 by hosts Brzail.
The Barcelona star previously quit international football after Argentina’s defeat in the 2016 Copa America Centenario final but only to make return later. This time he has said that he wants to continue and help Argentina grow.
“If I can still help in any way, I will continue to do so. I feel really good in this group,” Messi said after Tuesday 2-0 defeat against Brazil.
“This is a good, talented generation who showed that they love the national team. They have a future and great foundations, they just need to be given time,”. he added.
The Barcelona star will get another chance to break his tournament duck next year when the Copa America takes place in Argentina and Colombia, with the 2022 World Cup looming further on the horizon.
Meanwhile Argentina coach Lionel Scaloni also insisted his new-look squad had a bright future despite the defeat.
“Without a doubt, today we showed that this group of players feel the jersey like no-one else,” he said.
“We showed an image for the future of this squad and these players and the great path they are on.
“To play in this stadium, in these conditions and to be superior to our opponents.
“It doesn’t matter because they’re going to the final but if we’re aware of what we did today then there’s only positives.”