Dubai, July 16: Acting strongly against the breach of the COVID-19 bio-secure protocols by a cricketer, England Cricket Board (ECB) has dropped it’s premier pacer Jofra Archer from the second Test match against West Indies.
As a result Archer will be in isolation for five days and will have to test negative on two COVID-19 tests in that period before he can be cleared, ICC report said on its website.
A release from the England and Wales Cricket Board hours before the toss said the West Indies team had been made aware of the situation and were “satisfied” with the measures taken.
England go into the Test in Manchester, starting 16 July, trailing 1-0 in the three-match series after losing the opening match to the visitors in Southampton.
“I am extremely sorry for what I have done,” Archer was quoted as saying.
“I have put, not only myself, but the whole team and management in danger. I fully accept the consequences of my actions, and I want to sincerely apologise to everyone in the bio-secure bubble, ” He said.
“It deeply pains me to be missing the Test match, especially with the series poised. I feel like I have let both teams down, and again I am sorry, ” He added.
On the eve of the match, England announced they would rest James Anderson and Mark Wood from their pace attack, with Stuart Broad, Sam Curran, Chris Woakes and Ollie Robinson among the pace options named alongside Archer in their 13 probables for the Test. (Courtesy ICC)