CoA chief Vinod Rai has recommended a two-match ban on Hardik Pandya and KL Rahul, the Indian team duo who have been facing the wrath of the public after their ‘misogynist’ and ‘sexist’ comments during a recent talk show.
The 70-year-old’s recommendation follows BCCI’s decision of issuing a show-cause notice to the two, who have been panned on social media for their statements during ‘Koffee with Karan’.
Both Pandya and Rahul had been given 24 hours to respond to the BCCI with an explanation – while Pandya replied to the mail, and made his apology public, Rahul is reportedly yet to send back a clarification.
Speaking to PTI, Rai said: “I am not convinced with Hardik’s explanation and I have recommended a two-match ban for both players. However, the final decision will be taken once Diana gives her go-ahead.”
Calling the statements ‘crass’ and ‘unacceptable, Rai stated the final decision will be made only after CoA member Diana Edulji gives a go-ahead.
“Diana has sought legal opinion whether the duo can be banned. So, obviously, a decision will be taken once she gives her nod. As far as I am concerned, the comments were crass, in bad taste and unacceptable,” Rai added.
The two have been receiving flak from all quarters, especially after Pandya’s comments, where he boasts about being with several women and being open to his parents about the same.
Ratnakar Shetty, former BCCI General Secretary, had told Hindustan Times: “This is disgraceful and not acceptable from someone who represents the country and I will be writing to the Committee of Administrators so that these things are not repeated. I have also tweeted how I feel,” he said.
Both Pandya and Rahul are part of the ODI squad that will play a three-match ODI series in Australia, starting January 12.