The three top West Indian cricketers have declined to travel to England as part of the West Indies team amid the fears of global pandemic of Coronavirus.
Cricket West Indies (CWI) on Wednesday announced it’s 14-man squad for the series, which is expected to mark resumption of International cricket if it gets the final approval from the UK government.
“Darren Bravo, Shimron Hetmyer and Keemo Paul all declined the invitation to travel to England for the tour and CWI fully respects their decision to choose to do so,” Cricket West Indies said in a statement.
“As previously stated, CWI will not hold this decision against these players when considering future selection,” it added.
The specific reasons for their withdrawal were not given by CWI.
The West Indies squad will live, train and play in a “bio-secure” environment during the seven weeks of the tour, as part of the “comprehensive” medical and operations plans to ensure player and staff safety.
“The bio-secure protocols will restrict movement in and out of the venues, so the selection panel has also named a list of reserve players who will travel to train and help prepare the Test squad and ensure replacements are available in case of any injury,” said CWI.
The touring party, which will be tested for COVID-19 this week, is scheduled to fly to England on a chartered flight on June 8.
The series starting July 8 will be held at Hampshire’s Ageas Bowl and Lancashire’s Old Trafford as both these venues have on-site hotels.
The first Test will be held from July 8-12 while the remaining two at Old Trafford (July 16-20 and July 24-28).
The two newcomers to the Test squad are middle-order batsman Nkrumah Bonner and fast bowler Chemar Holder.