Fast bowler Mohammad Irfan has been banned from all forms of cricket for a year after he pleaded guilty to failing to report details of two approaches to corrupt the game. He can return, however, after six months if he assists the PCB in their ongoing investigations into the PSL corruption scandal, and if has no further breach of the board’s anti-corruption code in that time. He has also been fined PKR 1 million. His suspension is effective from the day he was provisionally suspended on March 14.
Irfan, along with Shahzaib Hasan and Zulfiqar Babar, were initially questioned by the PCB’s anti-corruption unit during the recently-concluded Pakistan Super League, but were allowed to continue playing in the tournament. Earlier this month, however, Irfan was provisionally suspended from all forms after he was summoned to appear before the anti-corruption committee.
A PCB press release said Irfan was found to be in breach of “failing to disclose to the PCB Vigilance and Security Department (without unnecessary delay) full details of any approaches or invitations received by the Participant to engage in Corrupt Conduct under this Anti-Corruption Code.”
“I was approached twice and it was my mistake that I did not report it to PCB’s anti-corruption unit,” Irfan said at a press conference. “I admit my mistake for not reporting but I didn’t get involved in any corrupt activity and gave a shut-up call to those who approached me. I ask the whole nation to forgive me if anyone is hurt by this mistake of mine.”